GROUP FINISHED FILM OPENING

PRELIMINARY TASK

Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Q6) What have you learnt about technologies from the process of constructing this product?

I learnt a lot in this project about the technologies needed, as well as the similarities with the real media world. I developed my skills on both the PC and the Mac. I improved my ability to use Adobe Premiere Pro, as this task enabled us to be more creative and free with how we wanted to edit our piece. We experimented a lot in the earlier stages of editing, such as trying out an effect called ‘ghosting’ which requires layering two shots on top of each other and changing the opacity. This creates the illusion that the two shots are merged into one. It looked extremely effective however it did not look right as we planned to used it at the beginning when the pace is quite fast, but the ghosting effect slows it down . This is another thing I learnt; how to edit to create certain effects. Using pace to create suspense. Slowing down the editing to create more tension where as fast choppy, montage style shots helps create a sense of action and urgency. This because helpful when creating our montage sequence at the end. Specific things that we learnt on shoot were how when you want to do a zoom, or a pan, to make them look good and professional you have to be really slow and really smooth, otherwise they end up looking disjointed and bumpy. I practiced a couple of times with a zoom into King (which was originally going to be our opening shot). Even though it didn’t make the final cut, it was still valuable practice in camera work and handling. Working on seperate timelines was new for this project. I have learnt how much easier it is as it allows you to have different types of shots on different timeslines to avoid them getting cluttered and confusing. It also means that you can practise something before putting it into the sequence.

I became familiar with iMovie, which we used to create our titles. Although never doing this alone, I now understand how the process works, and feel confident if left alone i could do it. I single-handedly learnt how to use After Effects, and created our production company logo. This really helped to stretch my skills on my own, rather than just the skills as a group. I aslso learnt more about sound and music when it comes to adding it onto the timelines. We used a copyright free track from http://www.freeplaymusic.com/ and our track was called 'A Cinematic Touch'

We experienced some difficulties with our shots, such as the static camera sounds in the shots. We tried to overcome this by adjusting the treble. However this didn’t completely take away the sound but it worked to some extent. Another major problem we encountered was the auto-focus. We had never had to adjust the focus on the cameras before however during one of our shoots the shot started to go in and out of focus, so we had to adjust it ourselves. This was quite hard as we didn’t really know how to do it, but after some fiddling around we managed to get the shot in focus and looking good. It showed me how just to be patient and try things out. It also showed how important it is to know how your camera operates in case something like that was to happen again; that is one piece of advice I would definitely pass on! We experienced some health and safety issues when films. We were filming in a very small cellar, and there were 5 of us in on room. There were lots of wires and expensive equipment so we had to be very careful. It was essential that we were sensible because any of us could have tripped over a wire and broken something. We learnt to manoeuvre the equipment as a group and ask questions to check everything was ready before moving the tripod.

The saturation on most of King’s (murderers) shots was too green in contrast to the girl's shots so we had to adjust the colour balance on Premiere to warm up the shots. Another problem with technology was our camera kept going in and out of focus which meant it was extremely hard to get a good take.

As a whole I really stretched my abilities in this task and pushed myself. I was editing on my own a lot of the time which I enjoyed and I found that I could do it without the rest of my group.

No comments: