GROUP FINISHED FILM OPENING

PRELIMINARY TASK

Tuesday, November 4, 2008

MOVIE NIGHT

During the half term my friends and I decided that we should broaden our knowledge of different films, and film genres. Hannah, and Laura (who both also do media) came to my house to watch the films. All is all we managed to watch an impressive 8 films over 24 hours of many different genres including: Action thriller, Biographical drama, psycho-sexual thriller, drama, rom-com drama, horror as well as psychological dramas which could be considered as a hybrid that fits into many categories. I really enjoyed this weekend because it enabled me to watch some films that i otherwise wouldn't want to .

Films we watched:
Walk the Line (James Mangold 2005) -Biographical picture (BIOPIC)

Mulholland Dr. (David Lynch 2001) - Psycho-sexual thriller

Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind (Michael Gondry 2004) -hybrid with psychological and drama themes

Magdalene Sisters (Peter Mullan 2002) - Drama (based on a true story)

The Shining (Stanley Kubrick 1980) -Horror/thriller

The Object of My Affection (Nicholas Hunter 1998) - Rom-com drama

Kill Bill Volumes 1 and 2 (Quentin Tarentino 2003, 2004) - Action/thriller

I really loved all 8 films for different reasons. However I definitely had favourites.
Magdalene Sisters was about 3 girls in the Magdalene Laundries an institution for 'fallen' women, where they have to atone for their sins through work and prayer. Rose, Bernadette and Margaret are all in their for different reasons, however Margaret was wrongly put in their because of being raped. This makes you empathise with her and feel anger towards her parents who send her away, and the nuns in the institution that treat her badly. The film was based on a true story and so when the horrible things happen to the girls you feel even worse because you know this was happening in real life. Because it was based on a true story, the visuals were very realistic and gritty, with dull colours and lighting. I found this film very moving and it really affected me (for instance when the nuns were being particularly cruel I felt like screaming at the TV screen). This is one of the best film I have seen in a while and I would definitely recommend it.

Brief Summary of the rest:
Walk the Line-I've watched it many times before and I already consider it one of my favourites because of the way both Witherspoon and Phoenix portray their characters so accurately
Mulholland Dr.-Personally I didn't like it. I found it far too confusing-i had to look up its meaning on the Internet!
Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind-An extremely interesting movie and i loved the way that it worked backwards; I really enjoyed it
The Shining-A classic. And it lived up to all its hype. Suspense, tension and some extremely frightening scenes
The Object of my Affection- A sweet, yet rather gripping romantic drama which after watching 'The Shining' was a much needed break from all the confusing films and provided 2 hours in which no thought was needed and you could just watch the film
Kill Bill 1+2- Great action, almost humorous violence. I really didn't think I would like this sort of film but I did.

No comments: